issue no. 89
If you are having trouble viewing this email please visit http://www.shesheme.com/style.htm Please remember to add email@example.com to your Address Book to ensure that you continue to receive emails to your inbox.
She She Me Sponsors: Shopbop and Zappos
It’s not like we haven’t known it was coming. Winter leads to spring, which leads to summer; it’s been this way for EVER. So why am I standing in front of my full-length in a so-last-year tankini with a sagged-out two-piece in one hand and a dejected look on my face? How am I going to be ready for a quick jaunt to a tropical clime (I know the invitation to a week in Hilton Head is coming, I just KNOW it) with this pathetic collection of out-of-date Lycra? Time to get crackin’.
And as we all know, this sort of outing can’t be entered into lightly: we need a PLAN; we need to take STEPS to insure we don’t run screaming from the dressing room, head in hands, and retreat to our beds with the remote and a pint of Phish Food. This is far too potentially traumatic endeavor to rush things. Here’s my plan of attack:
- Exercise. Since I haven’t been as faithful about this as I would hope (okay, I’ve been pretty terribly irregular about my gym habit, but hey, I’m human), I’m now feeling the effects of my recent culinary indiscretions a bit more than my waistband would like. However, a little emergency intervention (cardio and weights today, yoga tomorrow, Pilates the next day) will go a long way to toning up the jiggly bits enough so I can stand the sight of myself in a full-length mirror. Plus it gives me a chance to trot out those smashing workout duds I bought myself as exercise incentive in January.
- Exfoliate. Every night after washing my face, I apply a nighttime moisturizer and treatment with retinol to continuously refresh my skin cells and keep wrinkles at bay. Then the morning of the shopping expedition, I’ll use a facial scrub and a body scrub with lots of essential oils to slough off the last of the winter’s dry skin. (Post-shower, pay special attention to the heels, knees and elbows with a thick cream – the flaky stuff can be so disheartening, and we need our spirits up, up, up!) The scrub also paves the way for a much more effective…
- Bronze. Whether you choose a light sunless-tanner-moisturizer combo potion or something a little more direct, it’s best to apply with a subtle hand, possibly over the course of a week. Take care with areas like knees, elbows, ankles and the backs of your hands so you’re not tea-stained around the edges. Facially, I prefer a good bronzing powder to a sunless tanner (less chance of errors creating days-long embarrassment), but some swear by mixing a little sunless tanner into the night cream for a fresh light glow in the AM. (Sub-corollary: highlight. Blonde streaks add to the sun-goddess illusion; however, I took care of this last week.) (Sub-sub corollary: whiten the teeth, too! Makes the face look tanner.)
- Dine carefully. Heavy carbs, too much salt or a couple of cocktails will add five pounds of water weight easily. The night before your search begins, stick to vegetables, lean protein and fish, and drink water like it’s free. (Come to think of it, perhaps this would be a diet plan that would be worth sticking to on a more permanent basis, and allow me to avoid the issues associated with skipping #1?)
- Remove black knee-socks.
- Attack. Choose silhouettes wisely, based on body type. Busty. Straight waist. Small chest. Short torso. Full hips. Long torso.
- Edit. Cross-reference styles that look good on me with extensive knowledge of the spring’s swimwear trends. Pastels. Sporty. Skirted. Boho. Retro. Ethnic prints. Brights.
- Accessorize. Shoes to carry us to the beach or pool. Cover-ups to, well, cover up for a walk on the beach, a quick game of kadima, or a stop (or six) at the local boutiques before a light lunch. Large brimmed hats and sunglasses to spare our newly freshened faces from the evils of UV-A and –B while allowing a coy sneak-peek at all the people nearby. Chic and stylish bra barette to keep my swimsuit straps in place! A sensible and chic moisture wicking headband to keep hair out of your face while taking the sun or exercising. A darling tote to hold reading material, water, a towel, phone, sunscreen and lip gloss (with SPF of course!)
- Celebrate. After selecting two (or three) of the season’s best hits suited exactly to my body type, retire not to the nearest watering hole but to a quiet evening at home (oh, all right, with three or seven of my closest GFs) with a plate of crudités, a little sorbet, and our empty calendars. It’s time to plan a season’s worth of outings to show off our new shopping conquests!
P.S. Be sure to check out the Home Page for updates from She She Me. Also, check out our all new Hot Products in the She She Mall. We are also adding New Stores each week so check back often for updates and fantastic savings! Also, don't miss the great girly merchandise in our Chic Shop.
She She Me Sponsor:
Spring is finally here! And Shopbop has a fabulous selection of spring's sassiest styles to help you kick off the season in style!
Gorgeous girly tops in delectable fabrics and springy shades add a touch of femininity to this season's distressed denim.
Gorgeous boho inspired tunics that can double as swim coverups! Looks fabulous with metallic gladiators too!
And the perfect sign of spring: saucy sundresses, ideal for lunch al fresco and an afternoon of retail therapy.
Don't forget to check out the fantastic selection of handbags and shoes as well!
30% to 70% OFF Seven and Citizens of Humanity Jeans at shopbop.com!
She She Me Sponsor:
Exciting new styles for spring are now available at Zappos! Check out our fantastic selection just in time for warmer weather and sunnier days.
Our selection of spring and summer sandals can't be beat. From fabulous flats and wonderful wedges to something a little more sassy in the skyscraper department, you're sure to find your dream shoes at Zappos.
Need something new for your workaday wear? Check out our newest styles in pumps, platforms, slingbacks and flats. Ideal for your every work situation.
And we have so much more than shoes! Don't miss our fantastic selection of handbags and accessories.
How about a pair of sassy sunglasses to celebrate the season!
It's all about Spring at Zappos!
$20 Gift Certificate to Bring It Up!
With all those sassy sundresses and cami tops just waiting to be debuted, you know you want to look your best. But that drop-dead dress or adorable top isn't going to do the trick if you bra straps are hanging out, and there is no possible way that you are going to let the girls spend the summer unsupported! Just in the nick of time, Bring It Up Instant Breast Lift is here to give you the lift and support you need to pull off a totally hot look for those warm weather days.
These little adhesive wonders are applied to the top of the breast, not underneath, and are invisible, waterproof and hypoallergenic, and they provide full support without a bra - even up to a size D-cup! Perfect for spaghetti strap dresses and tops, plunging necklines, backless gowns or any other situation where a bra isn't going to work. Excellent support at a truly excellent value.
Enter code ssm20 to receive a $20 gift certificate! Use your gift certificate to get any of these items: Original Instant Breast Lift, Breast Shaper, Smooth & Lift Nipple Cover.
Want to stay cool and dry during your workout? Check out the fabulous moisture wicking headbands from fit2Bmom.com — perfect for keeping your hair in place and the sweat off your face! Right now, upon checkout in the “where did you hear about us” option, SheSheMe readers can enter promo code SHESHEME09 to receive 1 complimentary “Get Fit Kit” containing a FIT2BMOM drawstring gym bag and moisture-wicking headband on all orders placed thru 4/15/09.
Check out the She She Events page to see what the chic and stylish fashionistas are doing in your city!
Don't miss the Ask She She Blog!
This is where She She Girls go to find the latest styles and the
hottest trends; where your fashion, beauty and lifestyle questions are answered, and the thoughts, ideas and comments of all She She Girls
are encouraged and welcomed!