She She Me Sponsors: ManEater Threads and Zappos
The Keys to Effortless Style
Don't you just love having fabulous girlfriends who know you so well (and love you anyway) and are so in tune with the inner workings of your psyche that they can determine, practically down to the hour, exactly when you are going to be in need of serious girlfriend time, venting and bonding, vast amounts of chocolate and a nice little round of retail therapy? Perhaps it's the on-again-off-again is-it-winter-or-is-it-spring weather, complete with blustery winds and pelting rain interspersed with blindingly bright sunny days. (Am I ever going to get the chance to wear a sassy silk sundress again?!) Or perhaps it's because I have been sooooo incredibly busy playing catch-up at work that I seem to have misplaced several of my delectable swag bags from NYC. (I just hope no one here in the office has swiped them, or there will be serious repercussions. And re-swiping!) Or perhaps it's the fact that my romantic Valentine's Day dinner turned out to be pizza and Diet Pepsi in front of the telly (sans Jack, who was stranded in Baltimore on business). But he did send me a spectacular arrangement of tulips and daisies (my favorite flowers!), a She She sized box of Godiva truffles and a gorgeous little bracelet. (And to top it all off, he had the sense to have it all delivered to the office so I could gloat sufficiently! What a guy!)
Anyhoo, my best gal pals showed up at the office and whisked me away for a leisurely lunch and an hour or two of much needed girl time. We ate, we laughed, and we did what twirty-something fashionistas all over the world do: we planned our dream wardrobes! This list, my darling girls, is the culmination of what we, as super stylish twirty-something fashionistas, feel are the bare-bones basics of what every girl should have in her closet at all times, no matter the season, no matter the trend. Think timeless and classic. Then build from there.
Top Ten Must-Haves:
- Killer denim jeans. Either straight leg or trouser jeans as those two styles are timeless. A slightly bootcut jean will also do nicely. Stay away from anything too trendy, like super flare, very high waist or embellished. A touch of stretch is an added figure-friendly bonus, with a low to mid-rise. A great pair of jeans will look fabulous with everything from super stylish ankle boots to platform pumps to skimmers!
- A crisp white button-down shirt. Classic styling, but fitted is best. This is one of those items that can be easily updated to fit current trends. A body skimming style, tuxedo style, or one with a more feminine flare; whatever suits your fancy.
- Tailored jacket or blazer in a strong, neutral color like brown, black or charcoal. A tailored or fitted blazer when paired with a skirt or dressy trousers is the ideal business ensemble. This same tailored jacket can also dress up a pair of jeans. In fact, with items number 1, 2 and 3 you can go practically anywhere and fit in perfectly! Pair the jeans and white blouse with a wide leather belt and a pair of slouchy boots and you are ready for lunch at a sidewalk bistro. Slip that stylish blazer over the blouse, add a colorful scarf and platform pumps and you are on your way to dinner and a movie! I also adore the look of a lacy cami under a tailored blazer—very rock star!
- Figure flattering black trousers. Don't go cheap here—nice quality wool or cashmere trousers will last for years, especially if you choose a timeless style, like a wide straight leg or trouser cut style. Wear them with sleek black boots, slingbacks or pumps.
- Little black dress. What wardrobe would ever be complete without the ubiquitous LBD? From a romantic dinner with your beau to a corporate event you can never go wrong with the little black dress. My perfect LBD is a sleeveless knee-length sheath. Classic and timeless. For a business event I can pair it with a blazer and pumps—very corporate chic. If the occasion calls for something a little more flirty, the same dress works equally well with sheer hose, a pair of statement shoes and a gorgeous clutch. You can always pull the look together with the perfect LBD.
- Luxurious cashmere sweater. Every girl should own at least one real cashmere sweater. Choose the style that best suits your body type. Perhaps you are a cashmere turtleneck kind of girl. It looks fabu with jeans and blazer. Or you could go totally retro with a gorgeously feminine cashmere cardigan.
- Knee length skirt. A classic A-line skirt is great ( it will never go out of style), as is a figure skimming pencil skirt (not too tight—the sophistication factor greatly decreases when one looks like a sausage). This is another of those items that can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion. Wear it with a feminine blouse cinched with a skinny belt and classic pumps for a sexy Miss Moneypenny look. Or go totally Audrey with a skinny cropped cardi, pearls and leather slingbacks.
- Classic trenchcoat. Never out of style and can be worn almost all year long. Here, again, don't go cheap, as this item is so timeless it can last you for decades.
- Luxury handbag. Every girl deserves to treat herself to at least one gorgeous excellent quality handbag. The material, style and hardware are of such superior quality that you will wonder how you ever lived without it. Bring it out on special occasions, or if you get totally hooked, check out the possibility of "borrowing" those designer bags!
- A great fitting bra. Absolutely! What good are all of these fabulous style essentials if the girls are losing the battle with gravity and your bra straps are falling off your shoulders?! A great fitting bra will make your clothing fit better, your posture will perk up and your overall appearance will dramatically improve. (And while you're at it, you might want to try a pair of perfect panties—no panty lines!)
Now, I fully realize that there are all sorts of items that could fit into this list—tee shirts, sundresses, accessories, lingerie—feel free to create your own (no one ever said it had to stop at ten!), but with these timeless basics in your closet, you should never have another style impasse. Word to the wise: think of the above items as an investment; they will form the building blocks of your own personal style, so this is where the bulk of your wardrobe budget should be spent. Remember, you can bump up the volume on anything with a few well chosen accessories: a unique belt, a fabulous necklace or even a chic scarf tied around a ponytail.
Happy shopping darling girls!
She She Me
P.S. Be sure to check out the Home Page for updates from She She Me. Also, check out our all new Hot Products in the She She Mall. We are also adding New Stores each week so check back often for updates and fantastic savings! Also, don't miss the great girly merchandise in our Chic Shop.
She She Me Sponsor:
Is there anything more fabulous than the perfect pair of shoes? I think not! Especially when that perfect pair is found at a fabulous price and with free shipping!
At Zappos we have your perfect pair of shoes, no matter the style. Looking for a great pair of heels? We have the style and size you want from platforms and peeptoes to slingbacks and wedges.
In the market for a sassy pair of flats? Our ballerina flats will have you dancing for joy! From skimmers to loafers, slingbacks to spectators you need look no further than Zappos.
With spring just around the corner you are going to want to snap up several pair of sandals. Free shipping both ways makes this the perfect time to indulge.
She She Me Sponsor:
Maneater Threads was created from a love of fashion, shopping, and the internet, all combined for the ultimate online boutique experience.
Each season's items are carefully selected to reflect the best of a designer's vision and to mix and match within and across the various lines.
We are constantly on the lookout for the next great designer to bring to our friends and customers, in addition to carrying more established designers.
Maneater Threads' ultimate philosophy is that fashion should not be seasonal, but rather strive to be both classic and forward-thinking.
Especially for She She girls, enter code SHESHEME for 20% off your order!
Fun New Notecards in the Chic Shop!
With ten new styles to choose from you're sure to find
the set of notecards that is expressly you!
Go Red For Women is a movement passionately dedicated to helping women fight back against heart disease, the No. 1 killer of women in America. By putting our passion together with positive action, we can continue to educate other women about their risks and help them find their own personal path to better health for life.
Go Red For Women celebrates the energy, passion and power we have as women to band together to wipe out heart disease and stroke. Thanks to the participation of millions of people across the country, the color red and the red dress now stand for the ability all women have to improve their heart health and live stronger, longer lives.
Click Here to take the Go Red Heart Check Up Quiz. This quiz is designed to help women of all ages and backgrounds get the facts they need to partner with their doctors and make smart decisions about their health.
Don't miss the Ask She She Blog !
This is where She She Girls go to find the latest styles and the hottest trends; where your fashion, beauty and lifestyle questions are answered, and the thoughts, ideas and comments of all She She Girls are encouraged and welcomed!